Saturday, October 4, 2008

Soccer Champs


I planned to take a group of kids from the club to an Adam State Volleyball game. Sadly, none of them turned their permission forms in. So Mary Jo, Nate and I went ourselves. The feelings of being in a college gym, surrounded by college students, watching college athletes... its awkward. I enjoyed being in the setting, yet I couldn't help but to miss it, and feel a little jealous. No matter what, it was an exciting game, going into a 5th rally, ending with a win.
The next day I hosted a volleyball clinic with a few of the Adam State players. I was once again disappointed that no one showed up. However I had a slight hope that it would fail and be cancelled. It's awful, I know, but the cancellation meant I was able to go to my soccer game. My team is amazing, I can't say it enough. Yes, we have only one tie and no wins. If only you could see the team. The light bulbs go off as they understand what we've been teaching them. They do wall passes, hold their positions, call for the ball and talk, back each other up on defense. Most importantly - they laugh. We always hear giggles.

Mary Jo and I have been so proud of our team. They've come so far. Even though we haven't won. Our game was closer today. It would've been 5-4, however one of our goals was taken away (poor call for the ref.). The parents are even getting into it. The first game they sat as spectators, silent. Now, they are standing, cheering, encouraging. Pretty much, they are like my mom, I hear them yelling, "shoot the ball" and "kick it hard." :)

Love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so how are the fish? do you still have both?

Meg Gongwer said...

Yes. Both pescado and poisson are doing well.. enjoying eachothers company greatly. There is also a hot red Indian figuring that sits in the tank. Another friend of theres.

Jamie Skyrm said...

Wow...is it just me or does your blog delete lots of your posts? I'm so glad pescado has a French friend - and an Indian friend too. Sounds like there's enough culture in that bowl to go around...enjoy!

 
Front Foot Leads The Back One