This past week I've still been working at the Boys and Girls Club. The yearly fundraiser is coming up, it's full of bid boards, silent auctions, live auctions, and raffles. Its a big deal for the club, hence, they've needed some assistance.
In the beginning of the week I was volunteering at a radio station, KRZA, who was also having a fund drive. No I didn't talk on the air. When people called in with donations and pledges, I was the one handeling the phones. (my name was on the air whenever i was there... but thats it) It was a great experience and I had a good time with the people who work there. However, this was just short term.
For the other part of my days I went back to the Club. Wednesday and Thursday were full time days helping with the club's fundraiser. They have packages that usually contain one restaurant certificate, one hotel stay, and some type of activity. My job has been to pull the package together and write three sentences summing it up. Not hard right?
Well...
When there at 55 packages. You can only make a hotel and restuarant sound so good. I found that my vocabulary is rather short. For the words enjoy, indulge, escape, relax, getaway, and luxurious were used quiet a bit.
Heres an sample of my work:
Tempt Your Senses
Emerge yourself in New Mexico culture. Your journey begins with two passes to explore 14 outstanding museums and monuments. Dine at The Melting Pot for a unique fondue experience and close your perfect and adventurous day with a one night stay in your private casita at the historic Casas de Suenos in old town Albuquerque.
Think I could be a writer for a travel magazine? :)
I'll be working from 9am - midnight tonight and all day saturday with setting up, working at the ball, and tearing down. It's hectic, a lil stressful, but I feel like I'm back in events, plus, I'm getting my hours in :)
As for next week. Welp, that's still up in the air. I'll be working at home for a day or two. The job I was hoping to get didn't work out so we're looking at a few different things right now:
- assisting at a day care
- helping start up and helping with an after school program
- doing desk work for business that deals with eco., and environmental issues
- doing public relations work for a humane shelter
- being a youth minister for middle schoolers at the methodist church
All the jobs are part time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that two of them work out. If not, welp. We'll deal with that when it comes.
"Don't wait for something big to occur. Start where you are, with what you have, and that will always lead you into something greater."
~ Mary Manin Morrissey
"Everyone has inside them a piece of good news. The good news is you don't konw how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!
~Anne Frank
2 comments:
National Geographic called...they saw your write-up and need someone to do a piece for this article...
:)
listen girlfriend. i'm about to get creepy stalker on you and start calling, texting, facebooking, blogging you ALL DAY LONG until we can catch up. I miss you! so we should talk soon. okay? :)
Post a Comment