I decided to take a little trip to Hesston, Kansas to visit my old College and watch the men and women's soccer games. .... this is my journey ....
Beyond tired, I climbed into bed Wednesday night without finishing my packing. Of course that started some morning delays :) I went into work a little bit later (figuring it didn't matter too much since I already resigned). It was my last event I'd ever have to run, the Friends Park Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony. I planned on getting the event set up, running, and take off right at 5pm. Fortunately I called the my train to double check on times. Turns out it wasn't leaving at the 9pm time I expected, but 6pm! This is where my rushing came in. I was now frantically getting the event organized, dispersing my job, and making sure the speakers were set to go. Feeling I done all I could, I took off around 3pm, beginning my two hour drive over the mountains.
I thought it was going to be a little scary, turns out, winding down the mountain curves is fun! Once I was outside the mountains I reached the city of Trinidad, where I was catching the train. Turns out they were in the middle of construction. I wasn't lost, but I definitely couldn't find the station! I stop at a store and asked... they weren't much help. I called a house mate and asked, they were directing me to the station. I was only 1/4 mile from the station when my phone died! Sadly, I still couldn't find the station! So I stopped once more at a store to get directions. Thankfully they were clear, and they explained what the station looked like. This was key in me finding it, for I did, but it wasn't a "station." I pulled into a cleared path amongst the construction. The gravel parking lot could hold only 5 vehicles. Beside the port-o-potty was the metal ramp leading up to the "station." A mini modular, no bigger than my bedroom. The florescent lit room held four bright red chairs and a window air-conditioner. This was the Trinidad Amtrak Train Station. No figure I kept overlooking it.
My train was somewhat delayed and I showed up with enough time to spare. So I drove to McDonald's where I could eat supper and recharge my phone. The train ride was an experience. For part of the time I sat by a high school kid, Kleane, from Pittsburgh. He had all hit electronic gizmos out and rambled about his amazement of people living in places like this - the country side - with no arcades or skate parks, or malls. I found it humours and sad.
I finally arrived at Newton, Kansas a little after 3am. I was greeted by Kenyon, who was willing to pick up me, there was also a nice daylight donut for me to much on :)
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment