The unit house is house-sitting once again. We are staying at the same persons house. The one with broilers, turkeys, chickens, dogs, and cats.
I have stayed at the house the last two nights, once with Mary Jo and once with Nate. Not to my surprise, there's already a few complications.
1. There's a cat that doesn't like it's new kitty litter. So when it meows it means you let it out, or you'll find a not-so-nice present in the house.
2. A broiler was covered in blood from getting in a fight with the rooster.
3. A turkey somehow managed to make it's way into the chicken's coop.
4. I made a fire... yes that means the smoke alarms went off.
Sunday
Arriving at the house, I made a fire. Smoke alarm went off - 'nough said.
Mary Jo and I were awaken at 3:20am to Marco, the giant cat, meowing... or more like sounding it's alarm. Mary Jo gracefully took care of that problem, putting the cat outside. In the morning we discovered that a turkey managed to sneak into the chicken coop. We opted to take care of that situation later.
Monday
Nate and I arrived to the "situation" still remaining. To work we went, cautiously protecting our hands with gloves, Nate pushed the turkey out of the coop hole, and I, on the other side, guided it back into the turkey's pen. Let me remind you this is a 30+ pound turkey we are talking about. Not the easiest thing to shove around.
The excitement hasn't even begun though. No. Before bed Nate let the dogs out... unattended. Meaning 10 minutes later we were bundled up walking the road in search for runaways. Nate with flashlight, me with the shock collar remote (not as effective as it sounds). The dogs returned and we were able to climb into bed.
Though the comforts of bed didn't last long for me. I was awakened at 3am by a meowing cat (thankfully not the peeing cat.. just the whinny one) Too tired to push it off the bed, I decided to let it be, spending the remainder of the night with a cat sleeping on my legs. It remained there till we were both awoken with what you'd think was a high pitched fog horn. Of course it would only happen to be... the smoke alarm... perfectly located outside the bedroom door. Seeing that it stopped, I ignored it and went back to sleep. For an hour. When I was again awoken, this time with three fog horn beeps. This trend occurred every half-hour. The deeps were accompanied with two alert dogs, running into my room, whining and climbing onto the bed. Did I mention they are full grown black labs?
Finally it hit 5:15am. The alarm sounded, this time, with no stopping. Motivated enough, I grabbed the chair and did what I know best. Remove the batteries. The fire was burned out, the stove was off, the heater turned down. There could be no possible reason of it active screeching, so I put an end to it.
I then slept. Waking only an hour later to drag myself outside. For what? A dark sky, rooster squawking, snow kissed ground, and six degrees.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
oh you make me laugh
hey i thought it didn't get cold out there what's with the 6 deg.
bet that coat felt good
what coat did you use? sounds like you could have some good supper with turkey & chickens :)
we had supper with beef and goat :)
and yes, the coat helped.alot. it gets frigid during the night (when the sun's not out), heats up 20 or 30 degrees during the day. I don't mind if it's cold while I sleep :)
soooo just wondering...did you learn anything? And did you know there are shotguns for critters that meow/crow or beep in the middle of the night?? Sounds like you had your hands full.
Post a Comment