It's been a while since I've last updated everyone, mostly because during the week not too much happened ... just me being busy at working planning my big Day for Kids Event. The kids here have been begging me to open the dark room, so I've also been trying to get my program planned and going.
This weekend was eventful. Friday Mary Jo and I got up the courage to attempt another run. It was BEAUTIFUL. We ran out in the country, not even making it two miles, but having the view of the sunsetting below the mountains. We also went to the La Jara Farmer's Market, which we do almost every week. This week we got to meet some more amazing women of the area, all who've been so friendly and open to our company.
Saturday was action-packed. It started at 9am. Mary Jo and I dropped Kendra off to run in a college race, then we headed to Carroll Park for the soccer opening. Mary Jo and I are the new U-10 soccer coaches! For three hours we got to meet our team, their parents, and run some drills. We have 11 members - half girls/half boys, either 9 or 10 years old. I set up a drill for them to dribble and weave around cones - I was shocked at some of their skill. We certainly have experienced players, but we also have a few first timers in the group. For the most part they are very patient and great listers, with the exception of having a short attention span, wanting to talk, and being typical 10 year olds.
So it's clear - this isn't the soccer that I was offered at the Boys and Girls Club. This is the Alamosa's Park and Recreation Center fall league. I met the coach of the traveling league - like Goshen Stars - while at the kick off day and he offered Mary Jo and I the possibility to coach a middle school girls club team (also exciting!).
Once this event closed down, we jumped in the van and headed to the next park. At Cole Park Mary Jo's work place coordinated the Hispanic Heritage Day. There were artists, music, performers, dancing, and ethnic food. The athletic department had some of the players helping out with setting up, serving and cleaning up at the event. This is where I managed to embarrass myself in front of the football team for the second time. I went over to talk four players to see if they could help move a Loom - the wood apparatus for weaving rugs and such. I of course mixed up my words and asked them if they'd help me move an urn. !! They looked a little confused, then chuckled, and corrected me - thankful they still came to help :)
We came home to find that Nate had returned from orientation - he saw that during the week we managed to trim the trees, stack wood, pull the weeds in the sand volleyball court and garden, and weeded around the house. Apparently this motivated him, so until midnight Nate was slithering around in the crawl spaces under the house and rearranging the living room - us girls came out and gave him some "advice" :) While this was going on we were making more pesto. The full day of sun definitely gave me a new shade of red - next time I'll remember the sun screen.
On Sunday our last house mate arrived - Kiley. She seems like a great girl and her family was a lot of fun. We had one of our best house meals that night - hot Chili, Salad, Cornbread, and Peach pie. This however wasn't the end of our cooking... it continued Sunday night. We received one HUGE box full or corn and one of zucchini and some green beans. While Kiley unpacked we shucked, snapped, cooked, cut and shredded. We were able to freeze 5 bags of corn, 12 zucchini and one green bean. This of course made us clean out our freezer.... its HUGE!
It was a really fun night - we had a little sing-a-long while cooking (Nate even joined in on some Dixie Chicks).
Thanks to everyone for leaving me comments, emails, thoughts and prayers!
Love
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
sounds like you have enough to keep you busy now. i just feel sorry for 1 boy in a house full of girls
you would say urn instead of loom. They almost even sound alike...NOT! : )
Ha. It was so good to hear your voice the other day. Good luck with planning and your activities at the club. sounds like you're keeping busy.
Keep updating. I love it! : )
Post a Comment